About the Scholarship
The David Malcolm Scholarship will start accepting applications for Spring 2024 starting on February 1, 2024.
Despite not having a college degree, David Malcolm has enjoyed great success, graduating from the Harvard Business School Presidents Program. Over four decades, he built an enviable career in real estate, earning the highest commercial real estate designation (CCIM) and founding, managing, and advising multiple companies. Having come from a poor family, Mr. Malcolm created wealth while engaging in public and community service. He served in local, regional, and state offices and supported countless community organizations, many in education. Mr. Malcolm's philanthropic efforts include substantial support to The San Diego Foundation and, notably, the David Malcolm Scholarship.
The David Malcolm Scholarship is for students who have overcome obstacles to educational achievement – personal, family, demographic, or situational – and require help to continue on the path to success. Eligible applicants are high school seniors or college students who have already shown perseverance in pursuing a college degree. They will clearly show how this scholarship will make a difference in realizing success.
To apply for this $2,500 award, eligible students must submit a 1000-word essay and meet the eligibility requirements detailed below.
To apply for this scholarship, students must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be high school seniors already accepted into an accredited college or university or current students enrolled at an accredited college or university full-time.
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.5.
In the form below, please submit an essay highlighting a current obstacle, explaining how the scholarship award will help overcome it, and how higher education will help you become an inspirational success story.
This essay should be at most 1,000 words and must be submitted before the application deadline.
To apply for this scholarship, please complete the form below in its entirety. Read the Scholarship FAQ for more information.
May 31, 2024
The David Malcolm Scholarship will be awarded to at least one (1) student via the following process:
- At least one candidate with the best submission will be selected in June 2024.
- The winner will be notified by email and will have two (2) weeks to accept the award. Failure to accept the award within two (2) weeks shall disqualify that candidate and a new winner will be selected in their place.
- If the winner accepts the scholarship, the David Malcolm Scholarship committee reserves the right to request additional information from you, including but not limited to documentation in support of the information you provide.